Start Date: July 1, 2021
Leading at Achievement First
As a Special Services Dean at Achievement First, you will be at the center of this work— coaching our teachers and driving decisions that will benefit our scholars. Here, you will be the driver of high-quality coaching instruction that enables teachers to develop and deliver strong content to all of our students. You will work with teachers to be your students’ champion who believes all students are capable of greatness and achievement far beyond what society has been conditioned to accept. You will come to demand excellence for yourself, your teachers and your students, and accept nothing less than students’ best and most thoughtful work.
At Achievement First, you will grow as a passionate and constant leader who thrives on feedback, enjoys regular one-on-one coaching with our principal, and nurtures a voracious appetite for professional development and consistent improvement. You will cultivate school wide classroom cultures built on strong structures, communication and lasting relationships. Every day, you will shake the hands and contribute to the education of children who will go on to become first-generation college students and return to our communities as the next generation of game-changers.
As a Dean of Special Services at Achievement First, your typical week would include the following, and so much more:
- Design and manage school wide academic interventions, particularly in reading and mat
- Ensure Child Study Team identifies scholars in need of plans.
- Manage Special Services relationship with host district and monitor IEP compliance.
- Track other useful academic data (e.g. homework completion rates); communicate progress to students, teachers and parents.
Demonstrate exceptional teacher leadership:
- Directly coach and develop a portfolio of teachers.
- Observe lessons regularly and deliver targeted feedback to teachers.
- Collaborate with grade/subject teams to plan units, lessons and assessments; regularly share feedback.
- Model outstanding instruction for teachers.
Facilitate excellent professional development
- Coordinate and manage creative, inspiring professional development sessions in line with school goals and priorities.
- Direct the interim assessment process to ensure teachers are using current data to drive instruction; facilitate regular, meaningful interim assessment data debriefs with teachers.
Serve as an active member of the school leadership team
- Participate in regular leadership team meetings.
- Lead staff training at start and end of school year and on professional development days.
- Work closely with Dean of School Culture to support efforts in character development and positive school culture.
- Assist teacher leaders (e.g., coaches, grade team leaders) in developing leadership skills.
- Model the Achievement First professional and core values at all times; be a visible and highly engaged leader in the school community.
Skills and Characteristics:
- A commitment to Achievement First’s mission, deep love of content, and an unwavering belief that all students can and will succeed.
- Track record of exemplary instructional and classroom management skills, including meeting extremely high standards for student achievement.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Excellent communication skills with diverse constituents (teachers, parents, children, board members); clear writer, facilitator and public speaker.
- Proven ability to proactively lead by example, effectively manage adults, and seek out feedback
- Team player: maturity, humility, strong work ethic, follow-through, sense of humor, willingness to respond positively to feedback and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter.
Educational Background and Work Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university with a GPA of at least 3.0; master’s degree preferred.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience with a record of high student achievement.
- Experience leading and managing adults.
- If not currently certified, obtaining necessary state certification in specific subject and grade level is preferred.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/