Start Date: May/June 2017
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, will operate 30 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut and Rhode Island for the 2015-16 school year. The mission of Achievement First is to close the achievement gap and deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all children, regardless of race or economic status. Achievement First currently educates more than 9,500 students in historically underserved and underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black and Latino. With its college-preparatory focus, Achievement First schools are attaining breakthrough academic gains throughout the network. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger national conversation about how to improve public education and drive student achievement.
Achievement First’s approach to teaching and learning enables every student to succeed at the highest levels. This involves:
- Recruiting and developing successful teachers and school leaders and empowering them to use student data to strategically drive instruction;
- Creating a joyful school culture where it is “cool to be smart” that emphasizes character education and focuses students on college;
- Providing students with more time on task and intense intervention when they are struggling so that no child falls through the cracks.
For more information about Achievement First’s mission, approach, schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
The office coordinator is the face of the Achievement First campus and a key member of the school’s operations team. The primary responsibility of the office coordinator is to operate a welcoming and efficient main office. The office coordinator will work closely with the student services manager and will report to the director of school operations. The ideal candidate is a highly personable, systematic, and extremely organized worker-bee who deeply believes in the Achievement First school model and is committed to helping build a network of high-performing schools. Note: In some schools, many of our families are of Latino backgrounds, and so we strongly prefer a candidate who is fluent in Spanish.
Responsibilities of the Office Coordinator will include but are not limited to:
- Welcome visitors; serve as gatekeeper to address questions and minimize interruptions of the school admin team
- Answer phones, redirect inquiries as may be appropriate and relay messages to staff in a timely manner
- Receive and distribute mail and shipments
- Maintain a clean and organized office environment; maintain complete sets of commonly used forms for staff and families
Student Information, Data, & Reporting
- Use Achievement First’s Student Information System (SIS) to reconcile student attendance daily
- Use the SIS to maintain and update all student contact/demographic information, as directed by the student services manager
- Manage student issues, such as processing late arrivals and following-up with the families of absent students
- Assist student services manager and director of school operations with the administration and processing of regular student tests
- Produce accurate and timely student attendance, disciplinary, honor roll, and other reports for the school admin team
- Assist student services manager with compilation of data for various reports
School Communications & Documents Archive
- Produce letters, memos, and other notices
- Ensure that past memos, notices, and other school-specific documents are posted to the Shared Server
Supplies and Equipment Maintenance
- Fulfill staff supply requests
- Maintain office equipment (aka ensure copiers are operational and fully stocked with toner, paper, etc.)
- Conduct weekly supply inventory/equipment check and restocks as necessary
- Assist the Director of School Operations in preparing the campus annually for start-up/new school year launch
- Support the operations staff
- Assist the Director of School Operations with personnel and financial record keeping
- Assist the Student Services Manager with coordination of school events, test administration and processing, production and distribution of school memos, etc.
- Assist with filing of documents and records
Skills and Characteristics
- A cheerful and welcoming demeanor
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral)
- Strong organizational skills
- Takes instruction well, but does not wait for it
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and databases
- The desire and capacity to join the team of a start-up, nonprofit organization
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, highly disciplined, sometimes unpredictable school environment
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and roll-up-my-sleeves attitude
- Belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university
- 0-2 years of previous office management/administrative experience
Salary for this position is very competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
To Learn More About AF and Apply:
Please visit the Achievement First careers site at www.achievementfirst.org/careers/.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.